http://staff.lib.msu.edu/corby/education/multicultural.htm and www.ala.org/
How might you use the assigned website resources for building quality literature programs for adolescents and providing professional development for teachers in your building/district?
Michigan State University Website:
ReplyDeletehttp://libguides.lib.msu.edu/multicultural
*abundant wealth of multicultural resources*
- high variety of resources listed under several different categories
- lists of award winning and picture books to build a multicultural library for your classroom
- published guides to literature can be a quick and easy way to identify good books as well as to show to other teacher
- the articles about children’s literature would also be great for professional development opportunities in either departments or collaborative teams
American Library Association Website:
http://www.ala.org/
-access information about all different levels of literature
-access to lists of book awards by accessing different levels of the ALA
-research available for professional development
-several articles on choosing multicultural titles and communicating with multicultural audiences
Ruth D.
Hi, Ruth! Good to know you are a classmate again! These sites are really good. How's your year going? We are preparing for semester finals, so writing up tests for 5 different classes is taking up a lot of my time. "Talk" to you again! Linda Pulchinksi
DeleteThe ala.org website is always a "go to" site for looking for fine pieces of literature. I also discovered in my explorations that it is also very good for discovering what grants and/or monies are available for assitance. I also was impressed by the section which houses the professional articles. There's more to the site than I had known of before.
ReplyDeletelibguides.lib.msu.edu/multicultural is a plethora of information! I love this site! It is really user friendly. I was happy to see a listing of all the awards available for children and YA literature. I had gone to many of the Children Literature seminars sponsored by St. Cloud University in the summers, and one of the breakouts was on the most recent award winners in all the categories on this site. I felt good being familiar with them and knowing now where to find the yearly winners. Again, this site gives us the opportunity to research and read well-written articles. Great to know more about both! Linda P
One can literally spend hours clicking from one site to the next; such vast storehouses of knowledge and resources these websites are! I especially appreciated the ala.org site, which--in turn--led me to other valuable sites. Besides finding many interesting articles (many of which I printed out for future reference), I was happy to find such convenient lists of award-winning, multicultural books for teaching diversity, as well as for different reading levels and interests. The Coretta Scott King, Pura Belpre, Schneider Family, and Stonewall award winners would be something I'd want to be sure our school (and my classroom) library contained and our curriculum included. I found an article, "Teaching Visual Literacy Through Graphic Novels" to pass on to a colleague. I also enjoyed the Family Literacy Focus, reading about the SKILLS Act, and becoming aware of ALTAFF, AASL, and YALSA! Additionally, I came across two interesting powerpoints, one of them regarding critical literacy. We'll see how it goes to use a blog today. I was not able to have much success last night. I'm pretty sure I'm the "grandma" of this class. I sure did enjoy checking out these sites, however, and have bookmarked many of them as some new-found favorites to refer to over the course of the years.
ReplyDeleteYou're not the "grandma", Genny.... this is my first time writing on a blog as well! :) I agree with you that the book lists for award winning books is a great find!
Deletexxxxxx
ReplyDeletecccc
ReplyDeleteVisiting these websites was very interesting- I felt as if I could explore each site for hours! There was a wealth of information on each site. I really found the MSU Library website to be very interesting and a great source for locating multicultural materials. It was interesting to see this site, as I am just finishing up 603- so I feel that I am already thinking a lot about the multicultural aspect in teaching. I really liked how this site offered all different kinds of resources for multicultural components to bring into the learning: websites, books, articles, etc. The ALA website was a little overwhelming to take in as there is SO MUCH information! However, it was interesting to navigate through this website. I would really enjoy seeing some of the book lists created through the ALA. These websites are both full of information and resources that would be helpful for educators.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that they were a little overwhelming to take in and I could be on each site for days.
DeleteRuth
Marni-
DeleteYou are absolutely correct, there is so much information on these websites that it is kind of overwhelming, but the great thing is that there are many different aspects and directions on these sites that are great resources to be used over the course of your teaching. These are great resources to be able to reach back and gain updated and new insight on a variety of multi-cultural materials! :-)
Rachel